March 15, 2016

Fairy Garden Easter Egg

I've had 2 craft ideas lately that I wanted to do: a fairy garden / terrarium and decorated blown Easter eggs.  After talking with a friend, I decided to join those ideas together.

Voila: a fairy garden Easter egg.


I started out by carefully cracking the egg to let the insides out, then broke a decent sized hole in the shell.  I died it with blue food colouring.

For the inside, I took a styrofoam ball and cut it in half, using that as my base.  While school glue didn't work for securing it in place, so I used a bit of hot glue at the front to hold the base in place.  I glued some chunky green glitter down as grass.

I made the little mushroom house out of a light, air drying clay.  I scratched in lines for windows and a door with a pin.  The roof was painted with red nail polish (I forgot to add the white dots).  I coloured in the windows, door, and some 'bricks' with copic markers.  I pushed a small piece of wire into the base, which is how I secured it to the styrofoam ball.

In the background is a pink pipe cleaner tree I made following this tutorial.  Instead of the paint the tutorial suggested to give the branches some definition, I used a bit of glitter glue.  I also added 2 plastic flower clusters from a plastic flower I bought at the dollar store to the front of the house.

To finish off the egg, I wrapped some vine ribbon around the opening, then added a thin ribbon to hang it from.  I also added some butterfly stickers around the shell so it wouldn't look too plain from the back.

1 comment:

Patricia Johns said...

I really love this! It could be an Easter tradition to make one every year.